Saturday, January 27, 2007

Encouragement For Those In Debt

I have heard many stories over the years of how people got in debt or are currently in debt and can't see how they will ever get out. My heart goes out to people who can't even seem to make ends meet. I know all too well about being in debt. I was $11,000 in debt and lost my job. I only had a roof over my head, I had no money, no savings, no food to eat, no job and no prospects. As a result I filed for unemployment but it was only enough to buy food. I was so embarrassed and ashamed to tell anyone about my situation, not enough my mother, family or friends knew about my situation.

Luckily one day when I was trying to figure out how I was going to eat my godmother happened to call and I broke down and told her I didn't have any food. She came right over and brought me some groceries. Then I still had the problem of being out of work and trying to figure out how to pay my bills.

Luckily God stepped in, my aunt found out that I was out of work and hired me for a job. Then I was able to get a part-time job. Also during this time I was trying to finish up my last class for my college degree. I had to sit out a semester while I was unemployed. Luckily after I started working again I was able to register and complete my last course for my college degree. After that things started turning around, I was slowly able to pay my bills and get out of debt.

I sacrificed buying new clothes and new shoes (at one point I wore the same pair of red shoes for six month because I couldn't afford to buy a new pair), hanging out with friends, going out to eat, etc. but it was worth it. Now I am a homeowner, my car is paid for. It is six years old. I have been debt free for ten years (credit card debt). I have savings accounts, retirement accounts, life insurance, disability, health insurance and my own business.

It takes time to get out of debt (it took me 4 years) but you have to be billing to make sacrifices and you have to change your mindset. Don't focus on how am I going to get out of debt, focus on what can I do to get out of debt. Here are two get websites to help reduces expenses. www.thestretcher.com, www.budgetdial.com.

Please write me if you need advice on how to get out of debt at hfreeman@hefreemanenterprises.com.
H. Freeman, CEO
www.hefreemanenterprises.com
Author of How to Get Out of Debt: Get an "A" Credit Rating For Free

No comments: