Saturday, July 04, 2009

Are We Really in a Recession

I went to a few events this weekend and kept asking myself, are we really in a recession. In a recession how are people supposed to act. Should they live on a budget, stay at home all the time, only go out for special occasions, cut back on a few items, or live like there is no tomorrow and worry about the consequences later.

This weekend I saw many people spending lots of money and wondered, can they really afford to spend that money or are did they just get caught up in the frenzy of the 4th of July holiday and advertiser sales. How will they feel when reality hits and they receive that credit card bill or when they go to work on Monday and don't have any money to get to work or pay that unexpected bill that comes in the mail next week. These are just some of the things I pondered while I was out.

All of my friends and family know I am frugal, not cheap, I like nice things but if I can buy something at a cheaper price why not? I don't spend too much money on myself during the week, just $1.59 for grits Monday through Friday which equals to about $7.95 a week.

I also got caught up in the revelry and while out with several friends picked up the tab, not to show off, but merely as a kind gesture to those who have supported me with my business and who continue to support me and because I am blessed. I felt good knowing that because I live on a budget, only have my mortgage payment, my car is paid for, have a savings account and a retirement account I can at any time splurge on anything I choose because I live well below my means. I don't have to panic because when I receive my credit card statement because whatever charges are on there I can pay them off. I won't cringe on Monday morning because I still have money in my pocket and I don't have creditors calling my house harassing me.

I also have health, life and disability insurance which helps if you get sick or are unable to work for an extended period of time due to illness. This eases the burden of the high costs of medical care and ensures that you don't go into debt due to illness and prevents you from filing for bankruptcy due to high medical costs.

I hope everyone enjoys this holiday weekend. I wonder how you will you feel on Monday - depressed because you spent all of next week's money this weekend or will you feel happy because you are aware of your reality and spent your money wisely this weekend.

No comments: